Web App Rate Limiting
Incident Report for Abstract
Resolved
We started seeing issues from AWS S3, where we host our web application, stating that we were submitting too many requests. We initially thought this was due to the fact that we had moved our website to S3 earlier today, but were later notified by AWS that they were having issues with S3, proving that the timing was coincidental. We temporarily pointed the web application to our older hosting setup, but once the S3 issue was resolved and we repointed DNS to the updated configuration, everything ran as expected.
Posted 11 months ago. Sep 14, 2017 - 13:32 PDT
Update
We were notified by AWS of an issue that related to the issue we saw. It has been resolved on their end, and we're continuing to monitor the situation.
Posted 11 months ago. Sep 14, 2017 - 13:15 PDT
Monitoring
We've rolled back a change from earlier in the day and it looks like the site is back running smoothly. We'll keep monitoring the situation.
Posted 11 months ago. Sep 14, 2017 - 12:25 PDT
Investigating
We're seeing increased error rates with our web app. We're investigating the cause.
Posted 11 months ago. Sep 14, 2017 - 11:52 PDT